Sunday, April 25, 2010

Man vs Mooseman: Training in Wisconsin

I just spent three days in Madison with my wife and son. Evan (Numba 2 Son) is considering attending at U-Wisconsin next year, so this was his orientation date. We got to sample some of Madison's almost infinite array of restaurants, look over the lakes and parks, and renew old acquaintances.

I also got to do 2 quick 20-mile bike rides for training since I was away from the Team for a while, and missed two more practice sessions. I should have had the camera along with me for the rides, and at least taken a photo of the very fine bike I rented from Budget Bicycle Shops in Madison. It was a Fuji Race Team 2010 model, all composite down to the cranks, and light as a feather. Even a little lighter than my own Felt F-55 aluminum, and I scarcely got out of breath on the thing, it was so easy to ride.

We kept up a pretty good pace through both rides, both of them through the UW-Madison Arboretum area, to the southwest of town, and onto a southern bike path heading east, then north up to the west side of Lake Monona to the Isthmus near the Capital building. Then back west to the InnTowner Motel. I took the bike for granted the whole way, never even worrying about chain jams or shift problems. It was new, and pretty darn tight in its operation.

Then I found out the thing sells for $4040.00! I had guessed only half that much. Oh well, at least I had it for 40 miles. Like the pretty thing you used to admire but never got to kiss. :-) My Felt will have to do for the foreseeable future. Think I'll just get her a new chain...

No comments: